Demonstrate your passion for the environment. Learn to create positive change by advocating for our natural world and the sustainable management of its resources. Gain the tactical knowledge you need to create change in public policy and environmental practices by earning your master’s degree from Vermont Law School.
The online Master of Environmental Law and Policy (MELP) and the online LLM in Environmental Law are programs designed to help you harness the power of change and should provide you with a deep understanding of the law, policy, and science that shape global environmental solutions.
This interdisciplinary program focuses on environmental law, policy, ethics, and science. Current MELP students are lawyers, scientists, teachers, government employees, and other professionals who want to broaden their expertise and make a difference in the world around them.
in Environmental Law
Developed for post-JD candidates who want to become involved in and knowledgeable about environmental advocacy, this degree offers you the skills that prepare you to effectively use the law, policy, ethics, and science to address today’s pressing environmental issues. Learn to do more with your law degree and work to create environmental change.
Experience a Top Environmental Law Program
- Join a one-of-a-kind program — Focus on understanding the complexities of environmental law and policymaking and the legal regime that guides our environmental advocacy.
- Learn from the best — Interact with and learn from the stellar faculty of the internationally recognized leading environmental advocates, legal scholars, and practitioners.
- Benefit from Vermont Law School’s top-notch reputation — Enroll in the environmental law program with the broadest and deepest curriculum in the nation. Vermont Law School’s environmental law program has earned the #1 ranking in U.S.News & World Report’s Best Grad Schools 18 times since the ranking began in 1991.
- Choose your area of focus — Concentrate specifically in Climate Change Law and Policy or Energy Law and Policy.
- Learn how to become a voice of influence — Learn how key environmental leadership roles in public, nonprofit, and private organizations function.
Immerse Yourself in the Environment
- Study topics that move you — Address the topics that deeply impact our global society, such as climate change, energy, pollution prevention, and land use.
- Develop skills to help you find your career path — Graduates should possess the practical expertise needed to pursue a rewarding career in national and international environmental advocacy.
- Create connections — Collaborate and network with a powerful group of students and faculty at the forefront of global environmental policy.
- Receive a carefully crafted online education — Complete this challenging program in as few as 18 months of rigorous online study.
Vermont Law School’s JD program is accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA), which also acquiesces in the school’s decision to offer LLM degrees. Its master’s degree program is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).